Monday, April 2, 2012


Thursday, April 5, 2012 ~ Holy Thursday

What to read for today.           
Chapter 37:Sharing The Fruits of Contemplation           

Questions for your personal reflection.
Have you tried to engage others in this Lenten discipline as you have carried it out?  How? With what results?

Sharing with others: What caught your attention or provoked your thinking today?
As I re-read this chapter I was filled with horror at the thought that this Lenten reading study might be an exercise in preaching at people.  “The contemplative who tries to preach contemplation before he himself really knows what it is, will prevent both himself and others from finding the true path to God’s peace.”  I certainly don’t want to be that person.
I accept Merton’s observation that spiritual experiences defy words and cannot be communicated and that even if they can, many people are not interested in the interior life.   Even so, I think it is worth wrestling with words and offering one’s thoughts to others.   This is how I clarify ideas and experiences and what prompts growth.

Posted by Genevieve

4 comments:

  1. Posted by Second Thoughts

    This chapter brought out a longing in me to hear from other people who value their interior life, not because I want to teach them anything or preach at them but because I'm looking for companionship. Companionship is a human need and this parish can be a lonely place as far as contemplation is concerned. It's not a stand up and be counted kind of thing. It's a private thing.

    Merton speaks of "your own innate instinct for companionship" and says it shouldn't get in the way of being a humble instrument of God. Of course, we shouldn't use our instinct for companionship as an excuse to convert everybody else to our way of thinking, but that doesn't mean we have to stifle the desire to be with likeminded people. I did not pester anybody about contemplation, but I appreciated hearing what other people thought while we were reading this book and wish I had been able to hear from even more people.

    Sometimes Merton accuses others of things he himself might be guilty of. I'd be surprised if anybody who's taking part in this reading study thinks he's "teaching others about contemplation". I don't see it that way at all. But Merton was clearly teaching. That's the whole purpose of the book, so I think he really intends the cautions to be for himself.

    In keeping with my attempts to apply something from every chapter to my day, today I will try to draw "into the silence and humility of heart" so that "in HIs own time, He will set our hand to the work He wants us to do, and we will find ourselves doing it without being quite able to realize how we got there."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Genevieve

      I would also welcome more dialogue with those who might be willing and would be interested in people's thoughts on how that might happen.

      Delete
  2. The thought here I agree with. It is difficult to see how a contemplative can share their experience without seeming to preach. It comes back to humility. I was reminded of the earlier chapter when he spoke about monks who worked in the fields or carved tools or did animal husbandry. It's in the demonstation that the learning takes place. That monk shouldn't have to say anything to teach me the lessons I need to learn Those who force their views and themselves on others also harken back to figures in earlier chapters who promote a particular vision.
    This chapter was a not so gentle reminder to remember loving and serving others, with respect means not making assumptions, value judgements or conclusions about them. A tall order.
    post by william

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reply from Second Thoughts

      If like you someone just shares their thoughts without needing someone to agree or be as enthusiastic, then I don't see that as preaching and I hope you or anybody else won't be discouraged from sharing just because of that. I don't think anybody's been preaching at anybody else. Anyway, to me having the conversation is worth the risk of being misinterpreted.

      Delete