Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Feb 22 - Ash Wednesday


Today's Reading 

Introduction by Sue Monk Kidd

Preface
Author’s Note


Questions for your personal reflection.

As you begin this Lenten discipline, what do the words “interior life” or “spiritual life” mean to you?



What are your hopes for this exercise in relation to your interior life, or otherwise?


What are your reservations?



Sharing with others: What caught your attention or provoked your thinking today?
Today I note in Merton’s Preface that contacts with other people “modified” his solitude and caused him to revise the book.  Input from others provoked Merton to think further and to develop new perspectives.  That’s what I anticipate in this reading study: being exposed to the interpretations and comments of others, and trying to be open to them. That is both appealing and frightening.  Mostly frightening. What if I have to give up my cherished notions and interpretations?

2 comments:

  1. Posted by "Second Thoughts"

    Last night at the service after the Pancake Supper and this morning on CBC, people talked about what they were "giving up" or "taking on" for Lent. I had nothing to say until I read Merton's preface. As I reflected on his words, my Lenten commitment emerged. By taking part in this reading study and sharing private thoughts, I'm giving up "isolation". I'm also giving up the fear of disapproval. I think I am going to find that harder than foregoing coffee because there's a self-centredness at the heart of both isolation and fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. post by william
    I thought the preface and introductions gave a glimpse of an adventure of exploration both of the world around me but also and perhaps more importantly an exploration of my inner self and who that was and what that might mean for my involvement in the world. I was taken by the invitation to think about contemplation

    ReplyDelete