Monday, February 27, 2012


Monday, February 27, 2012           

What to read today. Chapter 4: Everything That Is, Is Holy
        
Questions for your personal reflection.
Does it seem possible that today (or any other day), as you go about the world, everything you meet and see and hear and touch could purify you and plant in you something more of contemplation and of heaven? To what extent would that require a change of attitude or orientation?
Sharing with others: What caught your attention or provoked your thinking today? 
I appreciate the way this chapter suggests an alternative to the judgment that is embedded in our social and public discourse, including social justice discourse. “[T]he saint is never offended by anything and judges no man’s sin because he does not know sin. He knows the mercy of God and…that his own mission on earth is to bring that mercy to all men.” As I read this, it suggests indiscriminate love instead of condemnation of others. So, I wonder, would that attitude modify our criticisms of the “one percent”?

3 comments:

  1. Posted by Second Thoughts

    It’s always a surprise to see what comes up each day. It can’t be planned.
    Today I looked for my false self and those areas where I have “the thoughts and attitudes of a baby”. What are my egotistical barriers to contemplation? I don’t drive a couple of Cadillacs and I am not attached to material things, but I do have an attachment to appearances and what people think of me. How does Merton put it? Placating the insatiable little god in my own heart. But then he gives a beautiful antidote: remembering “the Life Who dwells and sings within the essence of every creature”. There is an innate dignity in that and no need for others to confirm it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From today's readings I got that I must detach or lose myself to see/find God. That in order not to be cut off from the divine, I must be of, and in the world. to me this speaks loudly- Be the flower, the bird, the homeless person, the tsunami, the air, Envelop it and be enveloped- It's very mystical
    We are complete- our souls and physical form make up the whole us and it's recognizing this that validates it.
    post by william.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the post byCCDP made me think that that love is the regard and dignity that we all seek and that it comes with out judgement- so the answer to the question is ....maybe?

    ReplyDelete