Tuesday, March 6, 2012


Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What to read for today.           
Chapter 11:Learn to Be Alone           

Questions for your personal reflection.
On the subject of being alone, where do you see yourself as having more room for learning or growth?           

Sharing with others: What caught your attention or provoked your thinking today?
In this chapter I found two key points.  First the idea of emptiness, as in letting go of notions, ideas, pet concepts (about other people etc.). Second, the idea of stillness, as in the absence of unnecessary activity.  Merton challenged me to look at my own level of activity and to honestly evaluate how much of it is “useless” and born out of restlessness or an attempt to avoid something else.
Posted by Genevieve.

3 comments:

  1. Posted by Second Thoughts

    This chapter set up a kind of longing. Despite Merton's warnings that contemplation is not an escape, I wanted a space where I could untether myself from the world and be free just like he says. Honestly, that sounds appealing. However, the question today is where I see myself as having more room for learning or growth. Making time to be alone? Seeing that time when it is there whether it is planned or not? Or just paying attention to the longing instead of making this about will power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this chapter sorted out phoneys- I liked his Idea of being able to be alone in the midst of everything-it almost sounded like a disclpline.
    I thought he was spot on about those who spin their wheels in the name of love etc. - -It caused me to reflect on myself and my community- and I think we both came up a little short.
    One critique- -I felt as if he had gone on a rant in the last paragraph talking about those who were going through the motions- however correct it seemed It felt either out of character for Merton -not charitable- on reflection maybe that's the point.
    post by william

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Genevieve

    He does rant from time to time doesn't he? I love it. There's always a grain of truth to what he says and it's fun putting names to the people he describes. Very gratifying. Unfortunately, I think we're supposed to be seeing ourselves in those little rants...

    ReplyDelete